Proper ventilation is the prime aim of bathroom exhaust fans. If properly installed, it can make the bathroom air free of odors, excess moisture and humidity, etc. Overall, with proper ventilation people will feel more comfortable when using the bathroom. Now, bathroom exhaust fans with built in light is something common. They provide proper ventilation with illumination as well. This makes them a convenient option to have in your bathroom. If by chance your bathroom exhaust light bulb burns out you can change it without much hassle. The approach is fairly straightforward and can be done in no time. There can be minor variations depending on the type of exhaust fan. In this article we will see in quick, simple steps how we can change bathroom exhaust light bulb.
Table of Contents
Replacing bathroom exhaust fan light bulb
A step by step approach to replace bathroom exhaust fan light bulb is explained. Follow the steps carefully so that you can achieve the best results.
Gather the materials beforehand
You need not need many materials for changing the exhaust fan light bulb. What you need are:
- Ladder/ stool
- Wrench/ Screwdriver to remove the fan cover
- Flashlight so that you can have proper view of the bulb socket
- Light bulb with matching specification as the old one
You can take the help of someone from the household so as to hold the materials, although not necessary.
Before you begin with, it is better to have proper consideration about safety. Keep in mind the below mentioned safety precautions:
- Keep the bathroom steam free/dry as steam can interfere with the light bulb socket and cause damage which can lead to safety concerns.
- As water conducts electricity, keep water and power away from each other. Do not leave water on in the bathroom. Turn off taps and shower. Keep your hands dry.
- Cut off the electricity before you open up the exhaust fan. Turn off the power switch connected to the exhaust fan. Or else, you can also turn off the circuit breaker supplying power to the bathroom. This way you can be ensured that there is no threat of an electric shock or other related electrical problems.
- Before cutting off the power, keep the flashlight and ladder/stool set up prepared so that things get easy.
- When using a ladder or stool to reach out to the exhaust fan, ensure that it is placed in even area on the floor and is firmly placed so that you won’t tip off when you are boarding the ladder/stool. You can also have someone to keep an eye on you.
- If the exhaust fan is located above your tub or shower, it is best not to use a ladder/stool. Rather, you can stand carefully on the tub after drying it and change the light bulb.
Removing the exhaust fan cover
Now, as you have taken necessary precautions, you can start with the actual work. The exhaust fan cover can have glass/ plastic panels, which are secured on by fasteners. There can be different panel and fastener combinations for different models and hence this step is actually the most challenging part when it comes to changing your exhaust fan light bulb. You can also have a proper look at the manufacturer instructions for proper guidance.
Most common fasteners will be screws, which can be removed by simply unscrewing them with the screw driver. If the exhaust fan model is such that it is secured by a single nut at the center, then you can unscrew the nut using a wrench to remove the fan cover and have access to the light bulb. Some models may even feature clip on covers in which the side of the edging will wrap around the fan. To remove such covers, you need to gently push the flat end of screwdriver between the fan cover vent and the cover. Spring clamp covers if present can be pulled down gently by pinching the metal end of the clamps.
You can clean the interior of the exhaust fan to remove the dust and dirt. Ensure that power is off so that you remain safe in the process. You can also wash the exhaust fan cover with mild soap. This will remove the accumulated dust and dirt from the cover.
Removing Old Bulb
Now as you remove the fan cover, you will have access to the light bulb and get to see where it is secured on the socket. You need to unscrew the light bulb and take it off using a glove in case if the light bulb is still warm. If this is not your first time replacing the bulb, then you will be having a better idea regarding the specifications of the bulb with regards to the size, shape and the wattage. In such cases, you will find it easier to have the proper bulb with your beforehand for installation. If this is not the case, then you may need to inspect the old bulb for its size, shape and wattage requirements and get the one with similar specifications to be installed. If not of the correct specifications, there can be electrical issues like overheating and others later on. So it is crucial to get your hands on the correct bulb.
Installing the new bulb
Once you have with you the correct bulb, you can proceed with its installation. You need to insert the metal end of the light bulb on to the socket and turn it till it fits properly. After ensuring that the light bulb is properly inserted, you can turn on the power and check if it’s working. If not working, you need to turn off the power again and remove and insert the light bulb again. Or else, you can gently shake the light bulb and see. If this still doesn’t work, then you may need to try with some other light bulb.
Replace the exhaust fan cover
Once the bulb is replaced, you can replace the fan cover in the same way you removed it. If not done properly, there can be noise when the fan works.